Thursday, July 22, 2010

Between long awaited updates post

I've been really remiss in getting my last update done about my vacation in Senegal and here I am a few weeks away from going on vacation to Ghana. I stilllll havent gotten that update done because i'm biting off more than i can chew, but here is some interesting stuff on the hunger situation in Niger. In my town I havent seen anything really bad, nothing that seems different from last year. But in the north i've heard people have had it bad.
The following are links to an ICRISAT report that a fellow PCV posted on facebook. the BBC version has pictures and compact captions and the ICRISAT page has a lot more detailed info. I'm going to investigate implementing this in my village in gardens rather than crop fields.
PS I love the picture in the BBC slideshow of the woman with lettuce on her head, and incidentially that is the biggest most amazingly healthy and pristine lettuce i have ever seen in niger.
PPS The music sounds native american in the video on ICRISATs page. Music in Niger is not at all like that.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-10698153
http://www.icrisat.org/newsroom/latest-news/one-pager/africa-hunger/africa-hunger-crisis.htm
PPPS. Props to Cindy's mom who somehow finagled that girl into bringing back a bag of treats for her poor deprived friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment